Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Can the garage hold any more horns?

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Can the garage hold any more horns?

    Quote Originally Posted by analog addict View Post
    Can anyone ID the woofer using the code on the back of the magnet?
    The other pix of the woofers are here....EV's maybe?
    EV = 649, but that number sequence makes me doubt there's an EIA code in it. Are there any other number codes visible?

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Can the garage hold any more horns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    Wow! VIT's. Those are made for wide, constant coverage. Don't know how they'd work up close.
    GM probably knows. Hope he sees this.
    In a typical size HIFI/HT app you'd be deep inside its near-field AFAIK, so I imagine they would put the performers 'in your lap', so a (mid) bass horn of comparable length/directivity through the XO BW will be required to get the best blend. Factor in its high throat distortion that has no distance of note for it to decay and I imagine it will be too highly 'colored' for me at least. Stuck up high in the ceiling corners of a converted barn, church or similar though............

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Can the garage hold any more horns?

    Thanks GM, that's what I was thinking too.

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can the garage hold any more horns?

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    In a typical size HIFI/HT app you'd be deep inside its near-field AFAIK, so I imagine they would put the performers 'in your lap', so a (mid) bass horn of comparable length/directivity through the XO BW will be required to get the best blend. Factor in its high throat distortion that has no distance of note for it to decay and I imagine it will be too highly 'colored' for me at least. Stuck up high in the ceiling corners of a converted barn, church or similar though............

    GM
    As I figgered, they were a gamble for actual indoor applications, but for what I paid for them, I also figgered they were a can't miss investment.

    One of the VIT horns is prolly worth what I paid for the whole mess....

    However, I'm not in this for a quick flip. I'm gonna mess with them, cause that's half the fun. The next time I break out the Simplex W's, I'm gonna try both the VIT's and the MR94B's on top of them.

    Maybe I'll have to sit all the way at the end of the driveway instead of the middle, but so what?....

    Is 100" or so far enuff away, or am I gonna have to ask my neighbor for permission to sit in his yard????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Analog Addict - Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana...

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Can the garage hold any more horns?

    Cool!

    WRT the very high slot loaded 'two tone' (dual coverage angles) VITs, I don't know how to calc its 'throw' distance other than to 'walk it off' with an SPL meter to find its F3, F6 distance and use my ears to tell when throat distortion has been smoothed over distance. Ditto WRT the 94's throat distortion, though its F3, F6 distance should be ~the same as its multi-cell analogue, the 803. Unfortunately, my Excel SS for such info is corrupted and don't have time to mess with it, but for any speaker combo you can play a music scale and when you can no longer hear it move up/down between the two, but as a single source positioned somewhere in-between the two, then this is the beginning of its far field.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Can the garage hold any more horns?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Can the garage hold any more horns?

    Those indeed appear to be EV woofs...

    I have old EV's with what appears to be 810 EIA code...I am wondering if EV OEM products were coded differently?

    here's a pretty good list but not all....

    EIA Speaker Codes
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Can the garage hold any more horns?

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    ... but for any speaker combo you can play a music scale and when you can no longer hear it move up/down between the two, but as a single source positioned somewhere in-between the two, then this is the beginning of its far field.

    GM
    Ha! common sense strikes...great idea!

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can the garage hold any more horns?

    Quote Originally Posted by analog addict View Post

    Maybe I'll have to sit all the way at the end of the driveway instead of the middle, but so what?....

    Is 100" or so far enuff away, or am I gonna have to ask my neighbor for permission to sit in his yard????


    HAHAHA!! I love it,, but I doubt you are really kidding of this one from what I have seen of your pics!



    -chris

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Can the garage hold any more horns?

    Have you read the book Flushed With Pride, written by Thomas J. Crapper? Serious! Lots of inspiration for the home constructor if you run out of audio applications. Not so serious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.